Real ID Graphic Learn More About Real ID Learn More About Real ID

Commercial Driver License

Commercial Learner's Permits: Beginning in early 2016, the Department will start issuing a Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) in lieu of a Commercial Driver’s License Instruction Permit (CDL IP).

Any change to an existing CDL Instruction Permit will result in a new CLP being issued. The driver must follow all CLP requirements.

A CLP has the following requirements:

  • Must have a base non-commercial or commercial license to be issued a CLP
  • Must have a CLP to get a CDL
  • Is valid for 180 days
  • Must be held for 14 days prior to taking a skills test
  • If skills testing with a Third Party certifier, the test must be scheduled 4 days prior to testing

You must have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

A commercial motor vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle —

  1. Has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; or
  2. Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
  3. Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
  4. Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require placarding.

You must be at least 21 years of age to be issued a CDL to operate a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce and to receive endorsements for passengers or hazardous materials. You must be at least 25 to receive an endorsement for vehicle combinations over 70 feet in length. CDLs issued to applicants age 18 to 20 will contain Restriction R (no passengers or hazmat) and Restriction 2 (intrastate commerce only).

How to Apply

Truck and Driver

All CDL transactions must be completed at a CDL office.

Skills tests are administered by appointment at CDL offices only. A number of larger companies and organizations employ third-party certifiers. The DMV also licenses private Commercial Driving Schools.

You must list all states where you have held any commercial or non-commercial driver's license in the past ten years. We will check your driving history in each state. 

Commercial drivers must meet the Residency & Proof of Identity requirements for a Nevada driver's license.

You must self-certify the type of driving you do and, if needed, submit a Medical Examiner's Certificate. See CDL Self-Certification. Your employer may require a physical even if the state does not.

If a physical is required, you must obtain it from a physician listed in the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.

School Buses

School bus drivers must have a commercial driver's license if they drive a vehicle designed to transport (seat) 16 or more persons, including the driver. School bus drivers must have a school bus endorsement (S) in addition to a passenger endorsement (P) on their commercial driver's license (CDL).

To get the school bus endorsement, you must pass a knowledge test and a skills test for the class of school bus you drive or intend to drive. For more information, see Section 10 of the CDL Handbook.


Nevada restriction codes have changed. The letter designating your restriction may change the next time you receive a new license. For example, the P restriction requiring a medical exam will change to JU if the driver is required to submit a physical. See the Restriction Code Matrix and Nevada Administrative Code Chapter 483.

Handbooks & Forms Top ↑ Top ↑

PDF Help

Third Party Companies & Schools

Third Party Certifiers

CDL Offices Top ↑

North Las Vegas DMV
North Las Vegas CDL Office

You must visit a CDL office for all commercial license transactions. Most offices do not make appointments for applications or knowledge tests.

For general questions on commercial licensing, send an email or call one of our main numbers:

Las Vegas area (702) 486-4368 option 6
Reno/Sparks/Carson City (775) 684-4368 option 6
Elsewhere in Nevada (877) 368-7828 option 6


Ready to go? Get in line before you leave! We'll text or call you with an estimated wait time, then keep you up to date as your turn approaches. You don't have to wait at the DMV office! Pick one of the available options. It's easy!

Use the phone numbers below only to schedule a driving skills test. You must pass any required knowledge test before scheduling a skills test. See Fees for fee information.

Carson City
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711-0400
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(775) 684-4861


3920 E. Idaho Street
Elko, NV 89801-4970
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(775) 753-1126


  • Text dmvelko to (347) 482-0834
  • Call (844) DASHPASS (844-327-4727 option 5)
  • Join online

North Las Vegas
4110 Donovan Way
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
8a-5p M-F | Get Map

DASH PASS is not available at this office.

810 E Greg St.
Sparks, NV 89431
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(775) 688-2535


  • Text dmvsparks to (347) 507-2935
  • Call (844) DASHPASS (844-327-4727 option 6)
  • Join online

3505 Construction Way
Winnemucca, NV 89445-3155
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(775) 623-6515


  • Text dmvwinnemucca to (347) 482-0825
  • Call (844) DASHPASS (844-327-4727 option 3)
  • Join online

DUI Revocation/Suspension Rules Top ↑

According to federal regulation 49 CFR 383.51, upon receipt of a DUI conviction, a Commercial Driver License will be suspended for one full year (three full years if carrying hazardous materials) for a first offense and for life upon a second or subsequent offense.

A commercial license has two parts: a commercial side (CDL) and a non-commercial side (NCDL). When a driver’s NCDL is revoked or suspended, the CDL is also affected. If he is convicted of a first DUI offense by the court, his NCDL will be revoked for 90 days and his CDL privilege will be suspended for at least one year.

Between the time when a person is arrested for a possible DUI and when he is convicted of DUI by a court of law, there may be a period of time when his license will be revoked. When the court convicts him of the DUI, the commercial side of his license must be suspended for at least one full year. The non-commercial side of his license must also be revoked. However, the number of days he already went without a license can be applied to the end of his non-commercial license penalty period. This would allow him to shorten his 90-day NCDL penalty period by the number of days he is credited. His CDL will still remain suspended for at least one full year.

For example, if a conviction is received for a CDL holder or any individual who was driving a commercial motor vehicle, his CDL will be suspended and his NCDL will be revoked. If the individual went without his license for, say, five weeks, that five weeks may be credited to his NCDL penalty period. He may apply for reinstatement of his NCDL five weeks sooner than the end of his 90-day penalty period. however, No credit will be applied to the 1-year CDL suspension.

Legal References