DMV Dashpass Learn More About Dash Pass Learn More About Dash Pass

Residency & Proof of Identity

Nevada has two sets of requirements for proof of identity. Most residents will apply for a standard Driver's License, ID Card or Commercial Driver License. The requirements for these are listed on this page.

Those who cannot meet the requirements for a standard license may apply for a Driver Authorization Card (DAC), which is not valid for identification. See Driver Authorization Cards for those requirements.

Proof of Identity and Social Security Number - Standard License or ID

Birth Certificates

You must be a Nevada resident and provide a Nevada street address to obtain a drivers license, instruction permit or ID card.

As a first-time applicant, you will be required to provide proof of your identity (name and date of birth) and separate proof of your social security number if one has been issued for you. You must also surrender any existing U.S.-issued license or ID.

We do not accept other states’ licenses, instruction permits or ID cards as proof of identity. Please bring one of the documents listed in addition to your license, permit or ID card. You must also complete a Driver's License or Identification Card Application (DMV 002).

You must present one document for Proof of Identity AND one document for proof of Social Security number. Proof of your address is not required for a standard Nevada license, CDL or ID card.

Proof of Identity Social Security Number

Born in the U.S.

  • State-issued birth certificate (original or certified copy)
  • Valid, unexpired U. S. passport or passport card
  • Nevada Department of Corrections Identification Card

Born outside the U.S.

  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card
  • Unexpired Temporary Resident Card
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport or Passport Card
  • Resident Alien Card or I-551 Receipt
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport stamped “Processed for I-551”
  • Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) with Visa or Passport
  • Permit to Reenter the U.S.
  • Refugee Travel Documents
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization document
  • Social Security Card
  • W-2
  • IRS Form 1099
  • IRS Form 1099A
  • Paystub with Social Security number listed
See Documents You Need for a Social Security Card on the SSA website if you do not have proof of your number.

Documents must be valid originals or certified copies that were issued in the United States (except for foreign passports). We do not accept photocopies. Permanent Resident Cards must be updated at age 14 unless the bearer turns age 16 prior to expiration.

Maiden Names/Name Changes - You must present documentation of any name change(s) if you will be presenting a proof of identity document that does not contain your current legal name. This may include a Marriage Certificate, divorce decree, adoption records or court order.

Divorce decrees must reference the maiden name or former name before marriage. In a case of multiple name changes, you may be asked for records of each change.

If you lack these documents, contact your state or county Vital Statistics Office. A list is available from the National Center for Health Statistics. You may also use or a similar commercial service. Contact the Social Security Administration if necessary.

We do not accept:

  • Hospital-issued birth certificates
  • Driver’s licenses or identification cards from other U.S. states, U.S. Territories or foreign countries
  • Foreign birth certificates
  • Border crossing cards
  • Consular identification cards

If you cannot meet these requirements, you may qualify for a Driver Authorization Card. Please review the DAC requirements.

Residents of all U.S. territories and foreign countries must meet the Proof of Identity requirements and take vision, knowledge and skills tests to qualify for a driver license.


Active duty military members, their spouses, dependents and others living temporarily in Nevada are not required to transfer their license and registration. Licenses are not issued to visitors.

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 and 483.141 "Resident" defined.

  1. "Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

Non U.S. Citizens

Nevada does not issue licenses or ID cards to tourists. Other non U.S. citizens may, or may not, be eligible for a license or a driver authorization card depending on their specific immigration status. 

Email or call your local DMV office before applying for a license. Please include the Status Code issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. The type of license or ID issued is determined by immigration status.

Non citizens who possess U.S. issued immigration documents may qualify for a standard license or ID card. See Proof of Identity for a Standard Driver License, Commercial Driver License or Identification Card.

Others may qualify for a Driver Authorization Card, which is not valid for identification. See Proof of Identity for a Driver Authorization Card.

Non U.S. Citizens who have applied for, but not received, a Social Security number may attest to this on the driver license application. They are not required to provide proof of a Social Security number.