Identification Card Renewal Options

OUTAGE SATURDAY: Nevada residents using U.S. immigration documents as proof of identity will be unable to complete most driver’s licenses or identification card transactions on Saturday, June 23rd. The national system to verify immigration documents will be offline for maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have received a post card asking you to renew in person, you must do so. The only exception to this is made for active-duty military members.

Make an appointment at larger DMV offices. Review the Real ID information below if you have not already upgraded to a Real ID. See also Fees.

It is your responsibility to renew your ID card on time whether or not you receive a renewal notice. Please keep your address current with us. See Address Changes. A postal forwarding order is not sufficient.

If your expiration date is approaching and you have not received any notice, email your name, current address and card number or call (775) 684-4560 or (877) 368-7828.



You may renew in person at any DMV office at any time.

See the Real ID information below. Be sure to bring any additional documentation required for a Real ID or other reasons such as immigration status, medical letter, etc.

Nevada ID cards are issued from a central location and mailed to you. We will punch a hole in your existing ID card and return it to you with an interim document.


You must have a full-page renewal notice to renew by mail. The only exceptions are for members of the Armed Forces, their spouses, dependents or certain federal employees.

We may ask you to include a Payment Authorization Slip (VP 205) for fee payment on mailed or faxed renewals.

The DMV honors the postmark on mailed renewals. We will not assess late fees if the postmark is up to 30 days past the expiration date.  You may renew by mail up to one year late if otherwise qualified.

Veteran Designation Top ↑

Veterans with an honorable discharge may have a designation placed on their card next to the card number. See the pictures below. Bring your evidence of honorable discharge to your next renewal or mail a copy with a mailed renewal. Visit to obtain a copy of your DD-214 or other evidence of honorable discharge.

Real ID or Standard Card

Click for Self Help Video

Nevada issues ID cards that comply with the federal Real ID Act of 2005.

Existing card holders must choose either a Real ID card or a standard card. You must show proof of identity and residential address to obtain a Real ID.

Watch our self-help videos! Click on the video icon and choose English or Spanish.

Real ID ID card

Nevada Real ID Identification Card

A Real ID compliant ID card is marked with gold circle containing a star. A Real ID will be required for those who wish to use a state ID to board aircraft beginning October 1, 2020. See DHS Real ID Information for details and other instances where a Real ID is required.

To obtain a Real ID card, you must show proof of identity and residential address one time at the DMV. Most card holders submitted proof of identity in the past. You must show the documents again to obtain a Real ID.

Standard card

Standard Nevada ID Card

A standard Nevada ID card is marked "NOT FOR FEDERAL OFFICIAL USE" and, in the future, will not be valid for boarding aircraft or other uses outlined in DHS Real ID Information.

You do not have to present any documentation other than your existing ID card for renewal. You may use the internet or mail options if you are eligible to do so.

ID Card Terms

Most card holders will receive an ID card that is valid for eight years.

If U.S. immigration documents are used as proof of identity, the expiration of your ID card will coincide with the departure date on your immigration documents. These ID cards are marked "LIMITED TERM".

If the immigration document indicates “D/S” (Duration of Status) instead of an actual expiration date, the ID card will expire 1 year from the date of issuance. The fee charged will be that of a 4-year card.

If the departure date is eight years or more in the future, your ID card will be valid for eight years.

Registered sex offenders have annual renewals.

Early Renewal Top ↑

You may renew your ID card at any time in person at a DMV office. You may visit any DMV office regardless of your city or county of residence.

This is highly recommended for those who are planning an extended trip outside of Nevada. Active-duty military members are encouraged to renew in person when visiting Nevada.

If your expiration date is less than 6 months away, the new year of expiration will be set four or eight years ahead. If the expiration date is 6 months to one year from the date of renewal, the year of expiration will be set seven years ahead.

The same 6-month rule applies if you are renewing more than a year ahead of expiration. For example, if the expiration is one year and five months from the date of renewal, the new year of expiration will be set three years or seven years ahead. If the expiration is one year and seven months away, the new year of expiration will be six years ahead.

Late Renewal Top ↑

You may renew by mail only if you are qualified to do so and your ID card is expired 30 days or less. Please contact us for eligibility requirements. 

If you are outside of Nevada - If you received a renewal notice, you may renew by mail up to 30 days after expiration using an Application for Nevada ID card by Mail (DMV 204). Contact us before completing this form.

Military/Federal - Nevada residents who are currently members of the Armed forces, their spouses, dependents or certain federal employees may be eligible to renew by mail up to 2 years after expiration. 

If you did not receive a renewal notice, please call or email and include your current address for instructions.