The Motor Carrier Team keeps you truckin'!! Tell us how to improve our services. Send a comment, fill out our survey or call.
Motor Carrier or Fuel comments only. For other DMV issues or comments, please contact the DMV.
IFTA Decal Fee
The DMV will be charging $6 for a set of IFTA decals beginning next year. See the Industry Notice.
Every driver must certify no later than January 30, 2014. You must complete a self-certification application and submit it along with your medical card (if applicable). All incomplete applications will be rejected and may result in your driving privilege being cancelled. See CDL Self-Certification.
CDL Medical Examiners
All medical certificates issued on or after May 21, 2014, must be issued only by examiners listed in the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners. See the DMV Bulletin and visit the National Registry for more information.
Temporary Trip Permit Requirements
Out of state commercial vehicles with a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 10,001 pounds or more are required to get a temporary registration permit. All carriers are now required to get permits before entering Nevada.
- Permits - a list of vendors and general information.
- Tip Sheet - single page Q&A
- AB 372 Notice and FAQs - formal notice and detailed requirements
Potential Fuel Tax Evasion Report
Do your part to make sure everyone pays their fair share! Report potential fuel tax evasion online. Or, call the Motor Carrier Audit Team at (775) 684-4634.
If you operate any truck or bus in interstate commerce, you must register with the federal Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program. Nevada is a non-participating state and does not offer this service. However, Nevada-based carriers must comply with UCR. You must register with a participating state. Online registration is available at www.ucr.in.gov or see UCR Contacts.
Quick Info and Contacts
- Nevada has no Ports of Entry. See Permits for permit information.
- Maximum Cab Card Weight 80,000 pounds
- Carriers operating in excess of 80,000 pounds must must obtain all necessary permits before entering the state.
- Some rural DMV offices issue Single Trip Fuel permits. Call (775) 684-4711 for locations.
- For route restrictions and current road conditions, visit Nevada DOT.
- Nevada CDL Handbooks, IRP & IFTA forms are available in our Motor Carrier Forms Room.
- NDOT publishes a comprehensive Commercial Vehicle Handbook.
- General visitor information is available from the Nevada Commission on Tourism.
- Information on establishing a business in Nevada is available from the Nevada Governor's Office of Economic Development.
The Nevada Department of Transportation website is your best source for current permit information on all oversized and overweight vehicles including the latest route conditions, prohibitions and restrictions. See also Permits.
Motor Carrier Laws
|Chapter Number and Title||Statutes||Code|
|360a||Administration of Certain Taxes and Fees on Fuels||NRS||--|
|365||Taxes on Certain Fuels for Motor Vehicles and Aircraft||NRS||NAC|
|366||Tax on Special Fuels||NRS||NAC|
|371||Governmental Services Tax on Vehicle Registrations||NRS||--|
|373||County Taxes on Fuels||NRS||--|
|482||Non-Apportioned Vehicle Registration||NRS||NAC|
|484||Traffic Laws (replaced by Chapters 484A - 484E below)||NRS||NAC|
|484A||Traffic Laws Generally||NRS||--|
|484B||Rules of the Road||NRS||--|
|484C||Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or a Prohibited Substance||NRS||--|
|484D||Equipment, Inspections and Size, Weight and Load of Vehicles||NRS||--|
|484E||Accidents and Reports of Accidents||NRS||--|
|485||Insurance and Financial Responsibility||NRS||NAC|
|590||Petroleum Products and Antifreeze||NRS||NAC|
|706||Motor Carrier/Apportioned Registration||NRS||NAC|
|Title 49||Federal Laws and Regulations - Transportation||USC||CFR|