|Public Information Office
Contact: Kim Evans
555 Wright Way
Carson City, Nevada
Office: (775) 684-4554
Pager: (775) 861-5897
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 30, 1999
NEWS FROM: Motor Vehicle Division 99-149
DMV Assessors Office Registration Services
Service postponed September 7-10 for staff training
DMV Registration services at the Esmeralda County Assessors Office in Goldfield, Nevada
will be postponed September 7-10 so staff can be trained for the implementation
of a new computer system.
Project Genesis, the DMV's Business Process Re-Engineering effort, is about to reach
its most important milestone. An entirely new Windows-based computer system for all DMV
transactions will go on line, Tuesday, September 7th.
"The new system will ultimately offer Nevadans the best DMV service
anywhere," says Project Genesis team leader Donna West. "However, the Department
is anticipating long lines through September and October as our technicians learn the in
and outs of the system and as the final bugs are discovered and fixed."
To make the transition as smooth as possible, the DMV has made several
temporary changes in office hours:
- All DMV offices will be closed at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 3.
- DMV offices and phone rooms which offer Saturday service will be closed on Saturday,
- Offices on Galletti Way in Reno and on Flamingo, Sahara and Carey in Las Vegas will not
offer extended hours during the week of September 7th. Office hours will be 8
a.m. to 5 p.m.
- County Assessor DMV offices in rural areas and DMV Travel Teams
will not be operational during the week of September 7th.
The Department is trying to make the transition as painless as possible for both
customers and employees. We are asking customers to avoid in-person DMV visits if at all
possible. Here are some tips for the motoring public:
- Renew by Mail. We have added additional staff in this area. Renewals
are processed promptly. Larger DMV offices also have drop boxes for renewals.
- Access our Internet Site The DMV World Wide Web site has an extensive
Forms Room where you can download and print nearly every DMV form. Other sections can
answer most common questions. E-mails are usually answered within one working day.
Our E-Mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use Other Mail Services Address changes, disabled parking applications,
specialty license plate applications and many other transactions can be completed through
the mail. If you do not have access to the World Wide Web, an office visit is necessary
only to obtain the correct form.
- Postpone Optional Transactions Transactions which might wait a few days
or even weeks include name changes, duplicate title requests, and specialty license plate
applications. Many other transactions, of course, cannot be delayed.
- Come Prepared If you must visit a DMV office, have all of your
paperwork ready. Call us or send an e-mail before you come in. Ask your auto dealer,
insurance agent, family and friends about DMV requirements. The DMV accepts Visa and
Mastercard, which helps eliminate the need for precise fee quotes.