Real ID Graphic Learn More About Real ID Learn More About Real ID

License Plate Surrender & Registration Fee Refunds

License Plate SurrenderTop ↑

Handing over Car Keys

Nevada does not have a planned non-operation status or any requirement for a seller to notify the DMV of a vehicle sale. These issues are addressed by surrendering your license plates and canceling the registration. You should, however, use the Online Vehicle Resale Notification to help protect yourself in the event the vehicle is abandoned.

You must cancel your registration and surrender your license plates if:

Bring the plate(s) and decal to any full service DMV office and surrender them to a technician inside the office. Do not place them in a drop box. You may cancel the registration and keep personalized or specialty plates as a souvenir. Bring the rear plate to the DMV and scrape off the decal in person.

Or, you may mail the plates, decal, and a signed letter requesting cancellation. You may wish to send the plates via certified mail with return signature required. Be sure to include your correct return address and daytime telephone number in case we need to contact you.

Department of Motor Vehicles
Central Services Division
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711-0700

You will receive a credit for the unused portion of the current registration fees. The credit will decline on a pro-rated basis and reach zero on the day your registration would have expired.

You can only use the credit toward the registration or renewal of another vehicle which is registered in your name. You may renew other vehicles at any time in person at the DMV. You do not have to wait for the expiration date to approach. If your vehicle requires a smog check, you must have a new test completed if the last one is more than 90 days old. Credits cannot be applied to sales taxes or transferred to another person.

Certain motorists may qualify for a refund of registration fees. See the Refund Qualifications below.

If you do not have the license plates, you should cancel the registration by completing a Lost, Stolen or Mutilated License Plate Affidavit (VP 202).

Click for PDF Help

If you wish to allow another person to use an existing set of license plates that you currently own, you must complete a License Plate Release (SP 67). The new plate owner must submit this form when obtaining an original vehicle registration. The current registration for the plate number will be canceled. Registration fee credits may not be transferred to the new owner.

Refund QualificationsTop ↑

The criteria for registration refunds are mandated by the State Legislature and not the Department of Motor Vehicles. (NRS 482.399 subsection 9)

Full or partial registration fee refunds are available to Nevada residents under limited circumstances. No refunds are issued to former residents.

Only unused portions of the Registration Fees, Governmental Services Taxes and Supplemental Governmental Services Taxes are refundable. Specialty plate fees, sales taxes and other fees are not refunded.

Refunds are not issued at the DMV office. The DMV will accept the refund application along with the Nevada license plates you are surrendering.

If approved, you will receive a check within 6-8 weeks from the date we receive the plates. If an application is denied, you will receive notification from the DMV.

The following criteria must be met to qualify for a refund:

All of the above criteria must be met, and at least one of the following extenuating circumstances must apply:

Registration Refund Request Form (VP 210)