Installation Guide Top ↑
- Review these directions, then go to the Adobe Reader Download Page or the download page for PDF reader software of your choice.
- Download the file into a folder where you can easily find it.
- Close your browser.
- Click on the file to open and run it.
- Click 'OK' and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
You may have to ask your network administrator to do this on networked computer systems. Call your help desk or administrator if you get error messages.
- Restart your web browser and use Reader to view and print online forms.
Fill-In Forms Top ↑
DMV offers many forms which can be filled out on your computer rather than by hand or typewriter.
Be sure to have everything you need to complete the form before you begin. Some older DMV forms may not save the information if you hit the Save button. Here are some other tips:
- Hit the tab key to move to the first field.
- Use the tab key to move from one field to the next.
- Holding down the shift key while hitting the tab key will reverse direction of tab.
- For drop-down fields, use the keyboard down arrow to scroll through the list. Once the desired item is selected, hit the tab key. The field will be filled with the selected item and tab to the next field.
- To check a check box, tab into the field and hit the space bar. This will fill in the check box with the check mark and tab to the next field. To bypass one, just tab past it.
Forms are not submitted electronically. Print the completed form and submit it by mail, fax or in-person. Many forms requires witnessed signatures. You may complete these in advance, however you must wait until you are at the DMV or Notary Public to sign them.
Troubleshooting Top ↑
"Missing Plug-In" or similar error messages
You must install Adobe Reader or similar software to open PDF files on your computer.
Save the PDF file to your computer and run Reader as a separate application.
Look for a download icon, usually with an arrow pointing down, then save the file to your computer. You can then close your Internet browser and start Reader as a separate application by clicking on the file.
Use the Adobe tool bar print button to print, not your web browser's print command.
Part of the form is cut off on the paper or the orientation is wrong.
Reader has various check boxes and options in its print dialog box. Begin with these settings and try others if needed.
- Page Sizing and Handling: "Shrink oversized pages"
- Check "Choose Paper Source by PDF Page Size" if you are printing on legal or other larger paper
If the form still does not print correctly, you should try placing check marks in each box. Observe the result in the preview window.
For legal size forms, you may also click the "Properties" box next to the name of the printer to select Legal Size paper. On some printers, you may also have to click on "Advanced" to be able to select paper size.