New Resident Guide


Make an appointment for weekday services at our offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno. Print the email confirmation and carry that with you to present to law enforcement if your license or plates will expire prior to our appointment.

You may visit the offices in Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno on Saturdays without an appointment. Arrive early.

Please read this page carefully to ensure you have everything you need to make your trip to the DMV a success!

Residency Requirements Top ↑

Miles Welcome to Nevada

You must be a Nevada resident and provide a Nevada street address to obtain a driver license. You may not hold licenses or ID cards from multiple states.

Active duty military members, their spouses, dependents and others living temporarily in Nevada are not required to transfer their license and registration.

Licenses are not issued to visitors. Foreign nationals may or may not be eligible for a license or a driver authorization card depending on their specific immigration status. Email or call for details and see Residency and Proof of Identity.

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 and 483.141 "Resident" defined.

  1. "Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

Notify Your Former State Top ↑

Several states require former residents to return license plates. Others have fines or penalties if you fail to notify them of your move. See 50 State DMV Links.

Items Needed for a Typical Transfer Top ↑

Print-friendly checklist: English | Spanish


As a first-time applicant, you will be required to provide proof of your identity (name, date of birth and possibly any name changes), separate proof of your social security number if one has been issued to you and two documents that prove your Nevada residential address. You must also surrender any existing U.S.-issued license or ID.


Your DMV Visit Top ↑

Make an appointment! DMV offices in Carson City, Las Vegas and Reno offer appointments. DMV technicians handle both driver license and registration transactions at the same time. Arrive early to complete your VIN inspection or complete multiple VIN inspections in advance.

Be Prepared

Make sure you have all of the required documents such as proof of identity, driver's license application, your existing vehicle registration, Nevada Evidence of Insurance and current odometer reading.

Click for PDF Help

See our DMV Requirements Tip Sheets:
Real ID/Standard Driver License: English | Spanish | Real ID vs Standard
Driver Authorization Card: English | Spanish

Get your Vehicle Identification Number(s) ready and use our Online Registration Fee Estimate.

Email or call with any further questions. If you are out-of-state, call (775) 684-4368 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5  p.m. Pacific time.

License Plates

Out-of-state license plates must be surrendered. Plates are usually removed at the DMV office. Be sure to bring your own tools.

Visit our License Plates pages if you are interested in personalized or specialty plates. Plates with standard numbering are issued over the counter. We encourage you to order personalized plates by mail if you can place the order approximately 60 days before you register your vehicle. If you order personalized plates at the office, we will issue a paper movement permit and mail the new plates to you.

Your DMV Office

DMV Office

Find the DMV Full Service office nearest your home. County Assessors in certain rural areas offer vehicle registration services but you must visit a DMV office for a driver license or ID card. Commercial drivers must visit a CDL Office for all license transactions. Make an appointment at larger offices.

Larger DMV offices have a VIN Inspection Station outside the main office. Drive there first for your inspection(s). If you have multiple vehicles, you may have the inspections completed individually and register the vehicles all at once. DMV technicians handle both driver's license and vehicle registration at the same time.

Driving Tests Top ↑

All applicants take the vision test. Drivers who have never been licensed or those who currently hold a license from most foreign countries must take knowledge (written) and skills (driving) tests.

Drivers who currently hold a valid license from the U.S., a U.S. territory or Canada may or may not have to take the knowledge and skills tests. Drivers under the age of 21 are required to take the knowledge test. Drivers who have misplaced their actual license may be required to take the knowledge and skills tests if the DMV cannot verify their licensing status.

Additionally, transferring drivers will be required to take the knowledge test if any of the following conditions exist:

All applications are checked through the national Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS). If your license is currently suspended, revoked, or canceled in another state, see Driver License Suspensions.

Commercial drivers must conduct all CDL transactions at a CDL Office.

Driver Handbooks (PDF Format)
English | Spanish | Motorcycle | Audio
Parents Supervised Driving Program
Printed Guide | RoadReady App
Use the Driver Handbook to study for the written test. The Parents Program is for practical training.
Non-Commercial Study Guide
Class A & B, J Endorsement
Full Handbook | Hazardous Materials

Online Sample Test

Interactive | Text Only


Nevada Teen Driving

Beginning Drivers 18 and Older

Commercial Licensing

Traffic Law Summary & Education Campaigns

Teen Driving Top ↑

Drivers with an out-of-state instruction permit can drive in Nevada provided there is a licensed driver, 21 or older, with at least one year of driving experience seated next to the beginning driver at all times. 

Out-of-state permits must be surrendered to obtain a Nevada permit or license. Additional proof of identity is required as outlined above. You must be age 15½, pass the vision and written tests and present proof of school attendance to obtain a Nevada Instruction Permit.

The minimum age to obtain a driver license is 16. Most teens must complete driver education and a log of the dates and times of 50 hours of behind-the-wheel experience. See Nevada Teen Driving for complete details.

All drivers under 18 must obey a driving curfew. Teens are not allowed to drive between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. unless they are traveling to or from a scheduled event such as work or school.

Vehicle Registration Fees & Tax Relief Top ↑

The basic registration fee for vehicles under 6,000 pounds is $33. There is a graduated scale for higher weights. Trailers up to 1,000 pounds are $13; 1,000 or above are $25. Nevada charges additional small fees for license plates, titles, etc.

Nevada also charges taxes based on the value of the vehicle:

Use our Online Registration Fee Estimates.  (Vehicle Identification Number or MSRP is required.) See Registration Fees for more details.

County Assessors can approve Governmental Services Tax relief for veterans with certain dates of service, disabled veterans, surviving spouses and the blind. You must present a tax exemption statement from the assessor's office when registering your vehicle. No exemptions are age-based. These exemptions only apply to the Governmental Services Tax. Contact your County Assessor for specific requirements and see NRS Chapter 371. Veterans may designate all or part of their exemption for the Nevada Veterans Home Account.

Active duty military members who are residents of another state but stationed in Nevada qualify for Governmental Services Tax exemptions. Spouses qualify as well. See Military Licensing for information and forms.

Native American tribal members who reside on tribal lands also qualify for Governmental Services Tax exemptions. They must have the Application for Governmental Services Tax Exemption (VP 154) signed by the Tribal Chairperson.

License Plates and Disabled Parking Top ↑

License Plates

Nevada requires two license plates on motorized vehicles except for motorcycles, unless the vehicle is not designed for a front plate and no front plate bracket is available from the manufacturer. Plates are issued to the owner and not the vehicle. Keep your Nevada plates if you sell a vehicle.

Personalized plates in the standard design are limited to 7 letters and/or numbers. They cost $44 when ordered and $20 per year to renew. Specialty plates are available for Nevada universities, veterans, Purple Heart recipients, Ex-Prisoners of War, street rods and a number of charitable causes. Costs for specialty plates vary. You can order custom plates by mail in advance of your move. See License Plates.

Disabled Parking

Nevada issues special plates and/or a placard which can be used on any vehicle. The disabled resident must have a Nevada DMV application signed by a licensed physician verifying that he or she has a permanent disability which restricts the ability to walk. Use the Application for Disabled Persons Plates/Placards SP-27. See Disabled Parking.

Motorcycles, Mopeds & Off-Highway Vehicles Top ↑

Driver License

Nevada transfers most motorcycle endorsements from other states. If you take the skills test on a motorcycle under 90cc, your license will be restricted to that size or smaller. You must hold a Class M motorcycle license to drive a motorcycle.

A driver's license of any class is required for trimobiles and mopeds. A Class M license is not required. You must have a driver's license to operate a moped on any public street.

A driver's license is not required to operate an off-highway vehicle (except on public highways which are designated for OHV use).


Motorcycles are registered and insured under the same procedures as cars and trucks. See Motorcycles & Trimobiles.

Mopeds 50cc or less, with less than 2 horsepower, must be registered but you do not need insurance or a Class M license. Mopeds over 50cc are considered motorcycles. See Mopeds.

Off-highway vehicles, ATV's, non-street-legal motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. must be registered. Applications are accepted by mail only and decals are issued by mail only. See the Nevada Commission on Off-Highway Vehicles for details.

Helmet Law

Riders on motorcycles, trimobiles and mopeds are required to wear helmets that meet U.S. Department of Transportation standards. Helmet use is not required for other vehicles but is strongly suggested. Eye protection or a windscreen is also required.

Boats & Manufactured Housing Top ↑

Water vessels are registered and titled by the Nevada Division of Wildlife. Trailers are registered by the DMV. Nearly all trailers must be registered to be driven on any public highway. You must complete a VIN inspection on trailers which have never been registered or titled in Nevada.

Manufactured Homes and commercial coaches are taxed by County Assessors and titled by the Nevada Department of Business and Industry. If you are moving a home into Nevada or buying one here, it is important to contact both agencies. See Manufactured Homes and Recreational Park Trailers.