Nevada Odometer Reading Pilot Program

Odometer reading graphic

New!  Odometer Readings Required! We will use the reading from your smog check if you had a test completed. If not, have your current mileage ready. Motorcycles and mopeds are exempt. The Nevada DMV is required to collect mileage data to help legislators plan for future road construction. It's the law!

Assembly Bill 483 (AB 483), passed in the 2019 Nevada Legislature, directs the DMV to gather an odometer reading at the time of any original vehicle registration, registration renewal or vehicle sale.

Data from odometer readings will become part of your vehicle history and will be used to compile reports of total miles driven for the Nevada Legislature. There are no fees, taxes or fines associated with this program. The pilot project runs through December 31, 2026.


HOW do I report the odometer reading?

If your vehicle requires an emission test an odometer reading will be collected at that time. If you register or renew using DMV online services or at a DMV office, you will be asked for your odometer reading.

You may submit at the time of registration via (click links to access):

Mail-In Registration Renewal(Provide Odometer on Renewal Notice) 
DMV Kiosk Registration RenewalNevada DMV Self-Service Kiosks
MyDMV or Web RegistrationsRegistration Renewal or Express Plates
In Person transaction at a local DMV OfficeNevada DMV Office Locations

WHY do I have to provide my odometer reading? WHAT are the laws and regulations?

The collection of odometer readings is required by law to assist our legislature in evaluating our highway construction and maintenance needs for Nevadans. See Assembly Bill 483. See also Senate Concurrent Resolution 3.

The Department is required to establish administrative regulations to fully implement AB 483.

The DMV is operating under emergency regulations until permanent regulations can be developed. See AB 483 Emergency Regulations.

A public workshop on draft regulations was held September 3, 2019.   Notice of Workshop | Workshop Video

A public hearing will be scheduled in the near future as the regulations are finalized.

WHO is required to report their odometer reading? WHO is exempt?

The following vehicle types are included and are REQUIRED to provide a current odometer reading for each new and renewed registration: (All Fuel Types including Alternative Fuels and Electric, all sizes and weights)

  • Passenger Cars
  • Trucks
  • RV’s - Motor Homes
  • Buses
  • Truck/Tractor’s

The following vehicle types are EXEMPT from submitting an odometer reading at the time of registration:

  • Motorcycle or Moped
  • Vehicles Registered as Farm Vehicles
  • Commercial vehicles registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) with a declared gross weight in excess of 10,000 pounds.

I don’t have access to my odometer reading.

If you are unable to obtain the odometer reading at the time of registration and it was not received electronically with an emissions test, you must contact your DMV Call Center.

My vehicle is not being driven in Nevada.

The mileage data is not based on where the vehicle is being driven, only the number of miles. The law requires your odometer reading be reported at the time of any new registration or renewal regardless of the vehicle's location.

Are there any fees?

This pilot is for collection of mileage information only. There are no fees, taxes or fines associated.

WHAT if I report my mileage incorrectly?

Data from odometer readings become a part of your vehicle history and could impact the value of your vehicle at the time of sale or trade in.

You may correct an odometer entry error on your next registration renewal.

WHAT if I don’t provide my odometer reading?

Your odometer reading will be received electronically via your emissions test. However, if you’re not required to smog and you don’t provide your odometer reading, you will be unable to renew your registration online or at a kiosk. You will be required to renew in person at a local DMV office or renew by mail.

WHAT effect will this program have on vehicles with Classic Vehicle license plates and the associated emissions exemption?

AB 483 will have no effect. The laws regarding Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod and Old Timer license plates have not changed. These vehicles are already required to report their odometer reading each year in order to qualify for the emsssions testing exemption. See Classic Vehicles.

HOW do I know if my vehicle is registered as a Farm Vehicle?

The Farmer/Rancher Affidavit was required at the time of registration for qualified individuals and their vehicles. For more information regarding registering a Farm Vehicle, see the Farmer/Rancher Affidavit.

HOW do I know if my commercial vehicle is exempt?

Vehicles registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) with a declared gross weight rating over 10,000 pounds are exempt from this reporting requirement. Other commercial vehicles are not. Please contact the Motor Carrier Division at (775) 684-4711 with questions.

WHO do I contact with questions or concerns?

DMV specific questions should be directed to the DMV Call Center.

Questions/concerns specifically related to Assembly Bill 483 – Mileage Gathering Pilot should be directed to the customer’s local legislative representative: Nevada Legislature

Stay Informed! Top ↑

Subscribe to our email list for updates on pubic hearings, regulations and any other changes in the program.