Disabled Parking

Disabled Parking Laws Top ↑

Handicapped Parking Sign

Standards for handicapped parking spaces can be found in the federal ADA Standards for Accessible Design. Nevada laws are listed under NRS 484B.467.

Information and Applications Top ↑

The DMV issues handicapped license plates for cars and motorcycles, placards, motorcycle stickers and expedited service permits. Only those with a permanent disability qualify for license plates or permits. A disabled person with a reversible condition may obtain only placards or motorcycle stickers.

Disabled Persons Plate

Plates are assigned to a specific vehicle. Placards can be used on any vehicle but must be used only by the disabled individual. Motorcycle stickers are affixed to the license plate.

Disabled plates are listed with the prefix "PH" in official DMV records and documents. The license plate number for the plate pictured is "PH00000".

Organizations may receive plates and/or placards for use only on vehicles which are used primarily for transporting the disabled.

Application for Disabled Persons License Plates/Placards (SP 27)

Organization Application for Disabled Persons License Plates (SP 29)

Application for Expedited Service Permit (SP 59)

Click for PDF Help

A third party who wishes to obtain plates or placards at a DMV office must have a Power of Attorney from the applicant.

Organizations that use state or federal grants to provide transportation services to the elderly or disabled qualify for exempt license plates and an exemption from Governmental Services Taxes.

Affidavit for Exempt License Plate Application (SP 79)

Criteria for Disabled Persons Top ↑

A licensed physician, advanced practice registered nurse or physician assistant must certify an individual's disability by completing the bottom half of the application. The patient must have one or more of the following conditions to qualify:

  1. Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
  2. Cannot walk without the use of a brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair, or other device, or another person.
  3. Is restricted by a lung disease.
  4. Uses portable oxygen.
  5. Has a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified as a Class III or Class IV according to standards adopted by the American Heart Association.
  6. Is visually handicapped.
  7. Is severely limited in his/her ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
Handicapped Placard

The medical professional must also certify whether a patient's condition is subject to change and, if so, the length of time the disability is expected to last. DMV will issue up to two placards or motorcycle stickers for temporary or moderate conditions.

Those with a permanent condition may receive one placard with license plates and/or motorcycle decals for all vehicles registered in their name or 2 placards with no plates and/or decals.

How to Obtain Plates and Placards Top ↑

If you wish to obtain placards only, we encourage you to order by mail or fax. Mail the completed application to the address listed or fax it to (775) 684-4797. You may also visit a DMV Full Service Office.

To obtain license plates, motorcycle stickers or a combination of these and placards, you must visit a DMV Full Service Office or a County Assessor office which offers vehicle registration services.

If you are obtaining license plates and your vehicle is currently registered in Nevada, download and complete the appropriate application and obtain a physician's signature. Bring this and the old plates to the DMV or Assessor. If you wish to keep the old plates, you must bring the rear plate and surrender the decal in person.

If you choose to keep the same expiration date, we will issue your new plates with a new registration slip and decal. No emission inspection or registration renewal is required.

You have the option of renewing your vehicle registration for a full year. In addition to the application, you will need to complete an emission inspection if required and if the last test was completed more than 90 days ago. Your expiration date will change if the current expiration date is more than 35 days away. Credit will be given for the unused portion of your current Nevada registration.

If you have just purchased a vehicle or are registering it in Nevada for the first time, see the full list of Registration Requirements or New Resident Guide and use our online Registration Fee Estimates. Bring all required documentation along with the completed disabled plate application.

Authorization Letters

The DMV issues authorization letters that contain the name and address of the disabled individual who holds the license plates or placards.

You must keep this letter, or a copy, in the vehicle that is displaying disabled plates. You must keep it with you if you are using placards. It is illegal to park in a handicapped space unless the person to whom the plates or placards are issued is present.

Renewals Top ↑

Temporary or Moderate Placards/Stickers

You must complete a new application and obtain a new signature from a licensed physician or advanced practice registered nurse as your expiration date approaches. We encourage you to order by mail. You will not receive a renewal notice.

Permanent Placards

You will be mailed a renewal notice as your ten-year expiration date approaches. A new signature is not required. However, you must return the notice or complete and return the top half of a new application.

Please keep your address current with DMV. You must submit a paper Change of Address Notification by Mail (DMV 22) to change your address on placards. See Address Changes for options.

License Plates

No disabled application or medical signature is required for renewal if your disability is listed as permanent in DMV records. However, you must renew the vehicle registration annually. You will receive a mailed registration renewal notice.

If you wish to surrender your disabled plates, you may do so and obtain new plates at any DMV Full Service Office or a County Assessor office which offers vehicle registration services. Small transfer fees and any personalized or specialty fees for your new plates will apply. A vehicle registration renewal or emission inspection is not required unless it is due within 35 days.

Expedited Service Permits Top ↑

Disabled individuals with an irreversible condition may obtain an Expedited Service Permit. This entitles the holder to receive expedited services at State of Nevada agencies only. (NRS 426.401 - 461)

The permit contains your photograph and is similar to a driver's license. You must obtain this in person at a DMV Full Service Office using the following application:

Application for Expedited Service Permit (SP 59)

You do not need a separate physician's statement if you have already obtained this for disabled license plates or placards. The permit is valid for ten years.

Permits are valid for ten years. Renewals must be completed in person at a DMV office.

Expedited Service Permit Fees
65 Years of age or older Original, duplicate or renewal $7.25
Under 18 years of age Original, duplicate or renewal $6.25
All Others Original, duplicate or renewal $12.25
New photograph, change of name or both $7.25