Lien Pay Offs & Lease Buy Outs

Lien Pay Offs

Contract and Money

Pay off procedures vary depending on whether the lender is using a paper title or the new Electronic Lien Title (ELT) system.

Electronic Lien Title

If your lender uses ELT, it will notify the DMV of the lien satisfaction. The DMV will print and mail a new paper title to you at no cost. Allow approximately eight weeks for delivery. No other action is required. Please ensure your lender has your correct address.

ELT was implemented in September, 2015, and is being phased in gradually. Most lienholders that finance vehicles will be on the system by September, 2016, with full implementation no later than September, 2017.

Non-ELT Paper Title

When you pay off a loan or other lien on a vehicle, the bank or other lienholder must sign the appropriate section of the vehicle title and mail or otherwise deliver it to you. You may then bring this to a DMV Full Service Office or mail it to us to have the lienholder removed and obtain a "clear" title. It does not matter whether the title was issued in a different state as long as the vehicle is registered in Nevada.

Lenders do not notify the DMV of a loan pay off on a paper title. If you do not have a new title issued, the lienholder will continue to be listed in the official records. If you misplace the title, you will have to contact the lienholder to obtain a Lien Release. If the title was issued in another state, you will have to get a duplicate title from the other state.

The fee for a new title is $21. We will mail it to you in approximately eight weeks. It is not necessary to renew or update the vehicle registration.

You must complete the "Lien" section on the back of the title. Write "None" if there is no new lienholder to be recorded. If the new Certificate of Title is to reflect a security interest in the vehicle, the lienholder’s name and address must be recorded. You do not need to complete the odometer statement on the front.

Note: Any alteration or erasure voids a Nevada Certificate of Title.

If you choose to mail the title, for your protection, we suggest you use registered or certified mail. Please include an explanation letter with your full name, daytime telephone number and Nevada license plate number. Please enter your current address in the assignment of title. Mail this, the title and a check or money order payable to DMV or a Payment Authorization to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Title Processing
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711

If the bank or other lienholder does not have the title, the lienholder may complete and notarize a Lien Release form and mail this to you. You will have to complete an Application for Duplicate Title and submit both to DMV as outlined above.

Lease Buyouts Top ↑

When you purchase a car you have been leasing, a Nevada dealer (the lessor) and any lienholder will collect the sales tax and the title fee from you that is due on the sale.

The dealer will submit the title and a Dealers Report of Sale (DRS) to the DMV. The new lienholder, if any, will receive the new title. If there is no lienholder, you will receive the new title in approximately eight weeks.

Out of state dealers should give you the title, a Bill of Sale or another appropriate document. Please bring all documentation to a DMV Full Service Office. A $21 title fee will also apply. 


If you wish to have a corrected registration issued in your name alone, a Nevada dealer will also collect a $6.00 duplicate registration fee. You will receive the new registration in the mail separately from the title.

If the dealer does not collect the $6.00 fee and issues a DRS to you, then you should obtain the new Certificate of Registration. No registration renewal or emissions inspection is necessary if the vehicle is not due for renewal.

Bring the DRS to a DMV office to have a new registration issued. You may also use the mail. Please include an explanation letter with your full name, current address, daytime telephone number and Nevada license plate number. Mail this, the DRS and a check or money order payable to DMV or a Payment Authorization for $6.00 to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Renew By Mail Section
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711-0725

Mechanics/Storage Liens Top ↑

Individuals or businesses cannot simply 'place a lien' on a vehicle. Only licensed garages, tow companies or storage businesses with a signed work order, property release or contract can sell a vehicle on a lien.  Owner notification and a public auction are required. See Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 108 and Nevada Administrative Code Chapter 108.

Private landowners, property management companies and others must contact local law enforcement and/or towing services for removal of an abandoned vehicle.