Vehicle Sales - Out-of-State Dealers

Movement Permits

You can obtain a movement permit and VIN inspection at all DMV locations without an appointment. See Office Locations. Bring everything you need to register the vehicle. VIN inspections at rural offices are done at the time of registration.

Make an appointment for registration at our offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno. The offices in Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno open at 8 a.m. Saturdays and offer a limited number of tickets for walk-in customers.

You must have insurance and a movement permit or registration to drive a vehicle on public streets.

New Federal Odometer Rule  New!

The dealer must complete an Odometer Disclosure on any 2011 or newer vehicle. 2011 vehicles are not exempt even if the title indicates otherwise. The odometer disclosure period has been extended from 10 to 20 years. More Info Below

Attention Dealers - Do Not Remit Technology Fee

The Department of Motor Vehicles is no longer collecting the $1 Technology Fee. Payments with the Technology Fee included are being returned.  Rejected payments must be resubmitted within 10 days to avoid late fees.

Laws You Should Know Top ↑

Couple looking at a window sticker

Out-of-state vehicle dealers must comply with their own state's laws regarding sales to non-residents. Ask about a movement permit and for details on how the vehicle will be titled before you buy.

Be certain to read and understand the sales or lease contract before signing.

Sales Taxes

An out-of-state dealer may or may not collect sales tax. See the Nevada Department of Taxation Sales and Use Tax Publications for current tax rates. Rates vary by county.

The DMV may call the dealer to verify whether taxes have been paid.

Many dealers remit sales tax payments with the title paperwork sent to the DMV Central Services Division. If the amount remitted is more than the amount due, the DMV will process a refund. If the amount remitted is less, the entire transaction will be returned to the dealer.

Dealers who have questions on the calculation of sales tax should contact the Title Section at (775) 684-4810.

Utah: Utah dealers do not pay sales tax to Utah on out-of-state vehicle sales. Often, however, they will indicate the estimated amount of Nevada sales tax due as taxes paid to Utah. The full amount of Nevada sales tax is due on vehicles purchased in Utah regardless of any statement on the contract. The estimate on the contract may be different than the actual amount due.

ELT: Nevada uses an Electronic Lien and Title system. Any dealer or financial institution that creates a lien on a vehicle must supply a Nevada ELT number.

Vehicle History Checks

Use the Vehicle Identification Number to query the following services. There are also any number of commercial services available.

Odometer Laws Top ↑

Odometer reading graphic

Reading Required for Registration and Renewal

Have your current mileage ready when you register your vehicle. Motorcycles and mopeds are exempt. State law requires the DMV to collect mileage data to help the Nevada Legislature plan for future road construction. See Odometer Reading Pilot Program.

New!  Odometer Disclosure on 2011 and Newer Vehicles

Avoid repeat DMV visits and returned titles! Complete the Odometer Reading section of the title on any 2011 or newer vehicle.

Effective January 1, 2021, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requires odometer disclosures until vehicles are 20 years old, beginning with vehicles of the 2011 model year. The previous rule was 10 years.

You must disclose the mileage even if the title says "Exempt - Model year over 9 years old." Titles now being issued reflect the new rule as shown below.

Odometer Section of Title showing a nine-year exemption period
The Odometer Reading section of a Nevada title issued under the old disclosure rule that states “Exempt - Model year over 9 years old.” The reading must be entered for any vehicle 2011 or newer even if this statement is present.
Odometer Section of Title
The Odometer Reading section of a Nevada title which reflects the new rule. 

Register An Out-of-State Vehicle Top ↑

You must register the vehicle at a DMV office before the expiration date of any movement permit issued or 30 days maximum. If you trade in a vehicle, you should keep your Nevada license plates. They must be transferred to a new vehicle or surrendered within 60 days. Make an appointment at our offices in Carson City, Las Vegas or Reno. Commercial vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more must be registered through Motor Carrier.

If the vehicle has never been registered or titled in Nevada, you must have a VIN inspection completed at the DMV. At larger offices, drive to the Inspection Station outside the main office first. You may also have a law enforcement officer complete the Vehicle Inspection Certificate (VP 015).

Use our Online Registration Fee Estimate. This is an estimate only. Total fees will be higher due to a $28.25 title fee, license plate fees and miscellaneous charges. DMV field offices accept cash, checks, money orders for the exact amount, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.

Please bring all documents provided by the dealer. You must have:

Odometer Statement: If your vehicle is a 2011 model or newer and the dealer is providing you with the title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, please ensure that the dealer completes the federal Odometer Statement on this document. Dealers may also provide the original copy of a separate statement.

You must obtain liability insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier in the exact name(s) which will be on the registration and title. The effective date of the policy must be equal or previous to the registration date. Coverage is verified electronically with your insurance company.

Motorists who do not maintain Nevada liability insurance are subject to a registration suspension, reinstatement fee/fine, possible SR22 requirement and driver’s license suspension.

Out-of-state insurance is not accepted. See Vehicle Insurance Requirements. You must present Nevada Evidence of Insurance at registration and carry one in your vehicle at all times.

Third-Party Registration

A third party may register the vehicle for you. The person must also present an Application for Vehicle Registration (VP 222) signed by the owner. Or, the third party may present a completed Power of Attorney (VP 136) or a General Power of Attorney instead of a VP 222. Any Power of Attorney must be notarized and be an original or certified copy.

Three-Year Trailer Registration

Recreational and utility trailers can be registered for either one year or three years at a time.

Visit Online Fee Estimates to compare one-year and three-year fees.


Registration and Glovebox

The vehicle registration gives you the right to drive the car or truck on public highways. The Certificate of Registration and your Nevada Evidence of Insurance must be kept in the vehicle.

The vehicle title shows ownership. It should be stored with your other important papers and not kept in the vehicle.